STRUCTURE OF INFORMATION FORMATS

Actually, structures of information formats we face everyday in our life, I have been using these structures but I hadn't know exactly what is that, formats, I have never heard about primary or secondary sources and so on. In this part of Information technology studies we learned about the structure of information formats. There are two main formats, such as primary and secondary sources. 

A primary source is an original object or document, mostly people call it first-hand information. My lecturer said that primary source is material written or produced in the time period that you may be investigating. Here is some examples of primary sources: diaries, letters, memoirs, journals, historical documents and so on.


hand-written letter, primary source



certificate of marriage, primary source










A secondary source is something written about a primary source. Secondary sources are written "after the fact", after the event happened. As I mentioned that primary source is first-hand material, however secondary source is the "second-hand" material. Usually secondary sources are in the form of published works, such as, journal articles, books or radio/TV documentaries. For instance, biography, this source is when you write about another person's life. I wrote about Abraham Lincoln's life. This is the secondary source, because I am writing about him after he died.


World History, secondary source

Encyclopedia, secondary source

Overall, both these structures of information are explained me that there are main two structures, such as primary and secondary. Next time I will be familiar with the sources of information, I would be able to differentiate original documents with changed or edited one. This topic was very cognitive and useful foe me.