INFORMATION LITERACY AND BIG 6 PROCESS


As I am studying Information Literacy for this trimester, my first topic that we covered in my first lecture was - Information Literacy. What is Information Literacy, why we need it, when and where, so many questions I had before we learnt it. Later when I learnt, I understood that IL is research, searching information and information problem solving. Research is the systematic investigation into and study of materials and sources in order to establish facts and reach new conclusions. I also got that information problem solving is interesting and long process. For instance, if I want to solve the problem with information, find the solution and present it, firstly, I need to identify the problem, scope, plan how to solve it, gather with people and solve it, then manage my skills and so on, evaluate my solution and then present it.   

Moreover I learnt about Information literacy models. They are Big 6, Mc Kenzie Research Cycle, Alberta model, Pitts Research model, Seven Pillars model and Action Learning model. But as we started late our studies, we studied deeply only Big 6 process. Big 6 process is a six-stage process which helps anyone to solve problems or make a decisions by using information. 

Below I posted Big 6 process. I learnt that, first step of Big 6 is task definition, for me to define the task, I have to define the problem and identify the info requirements. Second step is information seeking strategies, here we need determine and prioritize the sources. Third step is location=access, here I need locate the source and select the information. Fourth step is usage of information, is where ever and whenever you can get info, that information's that you can hear, touch, see, feel and that info's which you can extract. Fifth step is - synthesis. This is the organization and presentation of your info. Last but not least step is - evaluation.

Overall, these topics were good introduction for me into this subject, I was quite interested during the classes, and surely I was interested in the topics, because these topics gave me new knowledge and experience in my life journey.