SEARCHING STRATEGIES

This topic was one of the useful parts in my Information Literacy learning for this trimester, on Monday few weeks ago, early in the morning I attended my class and there we learnt about searching strategies/tools. Mostly I got knowledge about why we need search the information. First of all, if I plan my search before I start, I will have a much better chance of finding information that is useful for my assignment and also if I will choose my search term carefully, I won't waste my time in looking for irrelevant information.


The first searching strategy that I have been taught by my lecturers is - boolean searching. Boolean searching allows me to group words together in an electronic database or environment such as the world wide web to receive a number of different types of results.

Boolean operators searching the information by using some criteria's such as AND, OR & NOT. It helps to searcher easily find certain info. I remember in first trimester I studied Statistics and there we covered topic such as "probability", here in boolean strategy is almost same with probability theory. In right side I attached the picture of boolean search strategy. Overall, this type of searching source helps me to easily find my useful and certain info.

The second strategy that I have been taught are truncation and wildcards. I learnt that truncation strategy expands the search to locate all words beginning with the same root. For instance, type educat* to find educator, educated and education. However, wildcards searching the information based on three symbols, which helps to find your information. Symbols are - asterisk (*), question mark (?), or pound sign (#). They replaces one or more letters in a word. For instance, type wom?n to find documents containing the word woman, women and womyn. 



Overall, these searching strategies is very useful in our life, especially in students life. I appreciate this topic and these strategies because it is really reliable and useful thing.